foolcontrol lets you get full control over a RED DIGITAL CINEMA DSMC camera connected to the same network as your iOS device, WEAPON, EPIC-W, SCARLET-W and RAVEN all have built in wifi but EPIC / SCARLET cameras require additional wireless accessories to work with foolcontrol (see below).
- PREVIEW : recording state, format, project / sensor frame rate, timecode, pre-record, frame trigger frame tagging, OLPF, REDcode, lookaround, shutter angle / speed, histogram, goal posts, traffic lights, gamma / color space, recording mode, frame processing, HDRx, Motion Mount, iris vale, white balance, tint, ISO, tools, RAW view, magnify, production info, scene and take metadata, VU meter, battery level / time left, media remaining / recording time, clip count, clip name, previous clip info. Indicators for : LAN, ext. timecode, sync, genlock, RIG, errors, camera fan speed and temperature. Eject media, power saving modes and shutdown the camera.
- FOCUS : Circular focus disc with advanced features : colored users marks, smooth bezier rack focus with adjustable speed, add hard stop for near/far focus, select 1,2,3,4,5 or 10 knob turns for super precise focusing without loosing any previous marks, searchable preset focus discs markers, create, recall, sort, rename and export your own user focus distance discs : unique mode lets you add repeatable distance marks for your lenses. AF mode selection, autofocus trigger, AF zone size and center, rack focus mode points recall, iris, magnify, record start stop, audible marks and more.
- LOOK : set camera look using a multi speed slider or manual value input : contrast, exposure, saturation, shadow, brightness, RGB gains, kelvin, tint and FLUT. Color temperature presets, auto white balance, ISO, color / gamma space.
- CURVES : Shape luma, red, green and blue curves to create in-camera grades. Drag curves points using 3 different modes for normal, fine, and super fine curve adjustment.
- PLAYBACK : list all the clips on your media with timecode, thumbnail and duration. Play forward, backward, frame by frame, go to end and beginning, set in/out points, navigate marked frame, set playback speed and looping mode.
- KEYS : navigate your camera menu using knob, buttons or gesture pad. Access to all buttons and menu pages.
- PRESETS : create and apply camera presets. A preset can include one or several parameters from look, curves, camera settings, slate and many more. Presets can be sorted, renamed and exported by email.
- SLATE : quickly set metadata values for production, director, DOP, scene, shot, take, project info, camera operator, unit and location. GPS location (on GPS enabled devices). Set timecode mode and value.
- CAMERA MENU tree
- RECORD SETTINGS with access to advanced record formats, mode and options.
- LINEAR FOCUS for single operators
To use an EPIC or SCARLET camera with foolcontrol on the same wifi network you will need to use one of these :
- RED lemo to cat5 ethernet cable and a GIG-E wireless router.
- RED REDLink bridge wifi module.
- Teradek COLR and GIG-E to lemo cable.
- RTMotion latitude
WEAPON / EPIC-W / SCARLET-W and RAVEN have built in wifi ready for foolcontrol. Wooden camera has an antenna replacement accessory called the 'Wifi Side Plate' to increase camera wifi range.
It is always recommended to use a router on set (infrastructure mode) instead of the Ad Hoc network setup in camera. TPLink WR802N is a great affordable USB powered option.
connection tips : foolcolor.net/tips.pdf
more info, video demos and support : http://foolcolor.net/foolcontrol_iOS
IG : @mikafool
Please note :
This application requires iOS 8.1 and up and will only work with RED DSMC cameras. It does not work with the RED ONE or any other camera. Focus control requires a RED Canon or Nikon mount and a compatible electronic lens.
Pro Filmmaker Apps is a curated database that can help you get a job done a little better or a little faster. This is a regularly updated resource of hundreds of mobile, tablet, watch, and desktop apps. We only include apps made for and used by film, television, and digital media professionals. Originally on FWDlabs.com, now at ProFilmmakerApps.com. Since 2008.